Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Mount Set Up For SW Mak180

Scopeman

Should be good for Mars. 

YRFSpAg.jpg

Baader Semi-APO and Contrast Booster are very good for Mars.

Edited by Nightspore

15 hours ago, Scopeman said:

EQ6R Pro with upgraded ADM saddle, pier adapter all sitting on the IOptron TriPier

IMG_20220303_160631039.jpg

IMG_20220124_120230803.jpg

That's a nice set of mirror counter weights  - interested where/how you set them up? Thks for any info.

32 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Nice, I have the same in 1.25" & 2" amongst others.....

20221027_154502.jpg

I originally bought the Semi-APO for my ST80. I ended up using the Fringe Killer as I thought it had better transmission for an 80mm achro. I used it in a stack with a Neodymium.

1FNOL9kl.jpg

I misplaced the Semi-APO  for years. Later I also acquired the Contrast Booster.

WCy6PWFl.jpg

I have different anti-cyan stacks.

gSnOo9el.jpg

I was always under the impression that the three Baaders were roughly equivalent to the Wratten #8, #12 & #15. Although Baader claim a lot of things. Either way, I find the Contrast Booster very good for Mars. Recently I found the relatively unused Semi-APO and find it's equally good for Mars.

SsQBH0Pl.jpg

The TV Planetary is still my favourite Mars filter.

Hi, they are gimbal counterweights from Amazon, the large weight wasn't quite enough on its own but two would be way too heavy. These gimbal weights come in 100g & 200g and I just bought a couple of each to attatch to the main counterweight to get the balance I needed.

It is to help balance the large heavy ota in Declination and the can slide along the underside of the Losmandy plate and clamped when balance is achieved.

Edited by Scopeman

Here's the FLT91, on the original SW tripod before I got the TriPier. I got this last year then my Dad died, hiy me quite hard as I lost my Mum 2 years before that. So not used this yet, lost my mojo after Dad went but getting it back slowly now.

IMG_20220118_124305057.jpg

IMG_20220107_130111578.jpg

Sorry to hear about your folks. My dad died a few years ago. I don't think you ever really get over the death of a parent. Nice scope. I've never owned a triplet, although I've used a couple. I actually prefer doublets as they can have more acuity and contrast. And they're a lot lighter and cheaper with faster cool down lol.

Thanks, yes but you can't beat a triplet, I hate colour fringing, I've had achros in the past and whilst the images were sharp I found fringing a major distraction for me. My Tak FS128 is a doublet and shows no fringing at all, but even that is heavy. Had ST80's in the past, had two, but not for me unless used as a guide scope which I never did.

Edited by Scopeman

28 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Thanks, yes but you can't beat a triplet, I hate colour fringing, I've had achros in the past and whilst the images were sharp I found fringing a major distraction for me. My Tak FS128 is a doublet and shows no fringing at all, but even that is heavy. Had ST80's in the past, had two, but not for me unless used as a guide scope which I never did.

Depends. I can't see any colour fringing on my 102mm Altair Starwave, my Altair 60 EDF and my SW 80ED DS Pro. They're all doublets. They all have FPL-53 Ohara and lanthanum, except the 80 which has a FPL-53 and a Schott crown. The 72ED DS Pro does show a tiny bit of cyan fringing on some very bright objects. I don't know what ED glass is used in it, but it also has a Schott crown. Achromats are a different thing. Hence the yellow filters. I find my ST80's and ST102 fine for rich field. Anything below a 1mm exit pupil will show some CA. There's a world of difference between a high quality ED doublet and a bog-standard achromatic doublet.

7rzcpmM.jpg

I've only seen a tiny bit of purple hazing on a bright Venus with the 72mm Evostar above. Synta are reticent about the composition or glass type of the flint. Either way it's pretty well corrected compared to an achromat. 

• 10 months later...
On 10/27/2022 at 8:41 AM, Nightspore said:

SdObN5dl.jpg

This 'mock Pentax' was bundled with my 80ED. I think they've been bundled with some Synta Mak's. They're not as bad as most people claim. It could be a reversed Kellner.

rcgYdn3l.jpg

It seems too well corrected to be a Kellner though. It's virtually indestructable.

3nTmXWHl.jpg

Late for the party in replying.

I use mine with my 're-modded' ETX-105. In fact it is the only 2" e/p I own, (if I  exclude my TeleVue 13mm Nagler/type1 and Meade 8.8mm UWA/series 4000), when mounted on my AOK-AYO or Tele-Optic Giro.

Don't know whether they come with end caps, (I bought it secondhand), but the cap/lid from some 35mm film cannisters is a perfect fit for the eye end.

25 minutes ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

Late for the party in replying.

I use mine with my 're-modded' ETX-105. In fact it is the only 2" e/p I own, (if I  exclude my TeleVue 13mm Nagler/type1 and Meade 8.8mm UWA/series 4000), when mounted on my AOK-AYO or Tele-Optic Giro.

Don't know whether they come with end caps, (I bought it secondhand), but the cap/lid from some 35mm film cannisters is a perfect fit for the eye end.

I think they were only supplied with one end cap for the barrel. Interestingly, it was the only 2" EP I owned at one time. 

ODEiQFC.jpg

I still don't own many.

• Like 1