Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Baader Skysurfer 111

Scopeman

New Baader Skysurfer 111 red dot finder came today, also got the proper screw on Clicklock which holds the electric focuser plate anchored down

20221119_183629.jpg

20221119_183647.jpg

20221119_184147.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't think it was too much by todays standards. One thing I do find is that the adjustments seem to be quite stiff which can cause a bit of flexure when trying to adjust it which I don't like, it's because they are all cheap and nasty plastic!

IDK, you can pick up the same thing much cheaper. I think Baader are making you pay for the name. I stopped using the plastic ones years ago as they seemed to become periodically unaccurate. Equivalent.

Edited by Nightspore

Their Skysurfer V looks a lot better, it is all aluminium, but expensive, can be used day and night apparently, got great reviews. This one I have just seems too difficult to adjust the red dot position, controls seem overly stiff.

Capture.PNG

Yeah, probably. I just use the metal 'gunsight' finders. The LED can be a bit bright though.

GBiZYnvl.jpg

Although I soon realised some retailers extract the yellow stuff on pricing *cough* TS Optics *cough*.

WPhTb7el.jpg

The Altair finder (above) has slightly dimmer LED than the bog-standard gunsights. As a consequence it's easier to use.

Edited by Nightspore

You can put small partial thin coating of paint on the diode to dim it down, have done this on the built in polar scope on the old NEQ6 Pro mount I used to have, works well. 

Going to return the SkySurfer 111, controls too tight, it makes the plastic flex, not for me, that's why I ordered the V version, looks much better.

19 hours ago, Nightspore said:

Sounds messy. I'm paralysed in my right arm.

Yeah I know but you do manage to set your gear up ok

24 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Yeah I know but you do manage to set your gear up ok

Yeah, but it doesn't involve paint or industrial solvents lol.

• Haha 1