Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Altair 102EDT

RaDec

Here's my imaging rig - Altair 102EDT with Altair Planostar .79 reducer, Pegasus Falcon rotator, Altair filter drawer (containing an Altair 4nm Dualband filter) and finally an Altair 269c Protec. Power from a Pegasus Ultimate Power Box V2 and comms through a MiniX strapped to the top. All this sits on an iOptron iEQ45 pro.

IMG_2211.jpeg

• Like 5

Very nice rig Keith. You meed a spray can the same colour as the cameras to change the blue colour so it all matches 😆- that’s just my slight OCD.

How do you find the Ioptron mount? I’m considering the CEM70 for a future upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 6:22 PM, TerryMcK said:

😆- that’s just my slight OCD.

Mine was seeing all those cables hanging down waiting to catch! I've had lots from https://www.juicebitz.co.uk/ They do all sorts of lengths so no reason to have over-long cables............... Never had an issue with any that I've bought from them. Cost more than the cheap stuff but cables can make or break a set-up.

Len

• 9 months later...

Nice setup Keith, may I suggest to consider some cable management stockings to minimise possible cable snags.  Here is a picture of my mobile rig, showing two cable stockings the one on left goes to camera and central one goes to mount and Power cell. These provide a more rigid structure to the cabling enabling bigger loops and minimal snag points.

20230828_151538_resized.jpeg.99459de00ad2844aed1006c944d37c6a.jpeg

Thanks Martin. To be fair, I’ve tried all sorts over the years, the sleeves, the twisty plastic cabling, zip ties and self amalgamating (non sticky) tape. The problem with my current set up is there is no central wiring point. The two power cables for the rotator and the camera are sleeved, but the usb leads go in so many different directions and lengths, there’s no obvious benefit. Now I probably shouldn’t say this, but I’ve never had a cable snag. That’ll jinx that for sure. 

• Like 1