Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

new HAE69-iMate range of telescope mount from iOptron

nickaltair

• ALTAIR

iOptron announced a new range of telescope mounts, of which there are several variants.

Here's the cheapest one in the range, the iOptron HAE69B-iMate Hybrid Harmonic Drive Equatorial Mount

From iOptron: "The “iMate” models feature a powerful 64-bit ARM based on-board computer with Wi-Fi, preloaded KStars planetarium software, Ekos control and automation tool and INDI drivers. This hardware-software combination will support most current and future devices (cameras, focusers, filter wheels, etc.) allowing the user choice of brand and model."

It's an interesting idea. I asked the question I guess you're all going to ask, and apparently the included software and apps can be replaced with your preferred choices too. In other words it appears there's no "lock-in".

That's an interesting new trend in this market.

What do you think?

HAE69B_04 copy.webp

HAE69B_02 copy.webp

Looks interesting Nick. I s’pose it was inevitable and good that it doesn’t force one set of software down your throat. Should cut down on cables and set up issues a fair bit. Haven’t seen the £££s yet - dare I look?

• ALTAIR
2 hours ago, RaDec said:

Looks interesting Nick. I s’pose it was inevitable and good that it doesn’t force one set of software down your throat. Should cut down on cables and set up issues a fair bit. Haven’t seen the £££s yet - dare I look?

You daren't Keith! 😅

• Haha 1

I have been using INDI/EKOS/KStars for a few years now on Raspberry Pi’s also with 64 bit ARM processors. I suspect there is an embedded Pi in the mount. As such the system is not locked in to one manufacturer so if the mount is good I think they could be on a winner.

ZWO also use the Pi in their ASIair but with their proprietary version of Linux running their cut down version of INDI effectively lock you into their hardware.

I think iOptron going down the open source route is what is needed and as harmonic mounts are all the rage it looks very interesting indeed.

• Like 2