Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Changes ...

Nightspore

In the fourth October session this year I got out between 20:10 and 21:30. The conditions were above average until the inevitable blanket of cloud came. This session was a bit of a change in many ways. I’m physically disabled and partially paralysed on my entire right side. Since a recent seizure I’ve actually lost some range and dexterity. Which is why I tend to use my smaller scopes now. One of the smallest, yet versatile telescopes in my inventory is my Altair 60mm ED doublet refractor.  

tSOOc66l.jpg

It has excellent S-FPL53 glass and is ideal for both rich field and high power planetary observation (it can easily achieve 144x). However, small scopes like the ‘Titchy Sixty’ really come into their own with 2” accessories. Especially for wide angle views.

OiT2Jpfl.jpg

I figured that I could add a 2” diagonal and at least one 2” eyepiece to my kit bag without a major increase in weight. The low profile TV adapter fits the Baader Maxbright like a glove and is truly a marriage made in heaven, or at least my back garden. It’s comfortable to use even with a tiny Takahashi 4mm orthoscopic. 

FotRHrRl.jpg

I also changed my tripod/mount combination to a Vixen Porta II/TL130 combination. A tad heavier than the AZ5, but more robust and easier to manipulate for me. 

CzaSLt4l.jpg

I spent the vast majority of the session with a 36mm Baader Aspheric for 10x and a whopping 6mm exit pupil. So I viewed a lot of open clusters, including Caroline's Rose, the Double Double, the Owl Cluster and NGC 663. I saw both Hercules Clusters and the Coathanger. One standout was Polaris and the 'Diamond Ring'. I haven't seen so many open clusters for ages. As the clouds were threatening my fun I decided to try a quick session on Saturn with the 4mm Tak ortho'.

XN0ec11l.jpg

I stuck with the Maxbright (I had a 1.25" Takahashi prism with me) for convenience and was rewarded with a razor sharp Saturn, for a short while anyway. I rate the Maxbright for a variety of reasons, ergonomics for one, although I do also like the twistlock. Considering this was a bit of an experimental session I'm pretty hip with the outcome. I'll probably continue with this set-up. I originally purchased a Tele Vue 2" Everbrite dielectric for the Titchy, but it didn't play well with the 60 EDF's three screw visual back. My guess was that the undercut on the TV diagonal's nose was the culprit. So tonight's session was definitely a change, but I'm cool with changes ... that's just the way it is.

• Like 4

On 10/20/2023 at 11:19 AM, GazAstro said:

Nice write up and good to see you overcoming the mobility issues .

Thanks, I am making progress.

Not sure I'll be dancing to The Cramps just yet though lol.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admire your determination to cope with your disabilities which until now l had no idea about.

Good for you and l hope you continue to do so for a long time yet.  

There is a member here with only one leg and he amazes me too. How do you both do it?????  

Carole

Edited by Carastro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Carastro said:

I have to admire your determination to cope with your disabilities which until now l had no idea about.

Good for you and l hope you continue to do so for a ling time yet.  

There is a member here with only one leg and he amazes me too. How do you both do it?????  

Carole

Hi Carole. Thanks.  Interestingly, when I first joined Dion's Astronomy Shed I was physically fit. Although the past few years I have been in and out of hospitals at regular intervals. Due to a series of strokes at a comparatively young age I'm now partially paralysed on the entire right side of my body. I originally surprised my doctors by learning to walk and talk again within three months. Which they thought was nothing short of miraculous. Unfortunately I got ill again about this time last year and have only recently got back to observing. I had a seizure about three months ago, was rushed unconscious to hospital, and lost the ability to speak again.  My speech has started to return and I'm slowly gaining my strength, range and dexterity back.

September

Eight  sessions:

4 72ED
3 60EDF
1 ST102

October

Seven Sessions:

4 60EDF

2 72ED
1 127mm Mak

I've had only fifteen sessions this year, compared to my usual average of over a hundred annually. It's nice to get out to see starlight again. It's actually good therapy for me. Clear skies to you.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - you’ve been through some tough times Nightspore. Good to hear you’re recovering and you’ve started to observe again. I have one of the F/6 60EDs too and agree it performs beautifully as a visual scope, beyond my expectations for such a small aperture. CA is minimal, thanks to FPL53 glass. Great for wide views of the Milky Way too, though I don’t have a 2” diagonal at the moment - just use Baader T2s of varying description. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, City dweller said:

Wow - you’ve been through some tough times Nightspore. Good to hear you’re recovering and you’ve started to observe again. I have one of the F/6 60EDs too and agree it performs beautifully as a visual scope, beyond my expectations for such a small aperture. CA is minimal, thanks to FPL53 glass. Great for wide views of the Milky Way too, though I don’t have a 2” diagonal at the moment - just use Baader T2s of varying description. 

I've had 17 sessions so far this year, not bad considering I didn't start until September the 5th. This time last year I only managed 7 sessions between Sep 5th and Nov 12th.

That ain't chop suey!