Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Altair TRI-RGB filter is in stock

• ALTAIR

New Altair TRI-RGB light pollution filter is in stock. This is a deep-sky contrast booster filter with the highest transmission on the market of it's type, and very pure colour rendition.

The Altair TRI-RGB cuts out some major light pollution and skyglow wavelengths - however it's not only for use in light polluted environments - it works very well even under dark skies, by enhancing colour purity, airglow, and reducing channel crossover.

Overall contrast improvement and transmission have been reported by our Beta testers as excellent. This is the perfect complement to our Dual Band filters for adding star colour to your images, plus for imaging galaxies and reflection nebulae.

F200-TRIRGB-Website_800x800.jpg

Any thoughts on this versus the LPRO-MAX? I’m shooting in Bortle 6 and was wondering whether to try the LPRO-MAX for reflection nebulae and galaxies but it looks like this may be a better bet?

• ALTAIR
10 hours ago, DanP said:

Any thoughts on this versus the LPRO-MAX? I’m shooting in Bortle 6 and was wondering whether to try the LPRO-MAX for reflection nebulae and galaxies but it looks like this may be a better bet?

I think it would work quite nicely in Bortle 6, and should offer more contrast and brighter colours due to the very distinct and separate pass bands. It would also depend on the target and local conditions. I hope someone does a comparison on various targets with both filters to ascertain which is better. Especially galaxies.

9 hours ago, nickaltair said:

I think it would work quite nicely in Bortle 6, and should offer more contrast and brighter colours due to the very distinct and separate pass bands. It would also depend on the target and local conditions. I hope someone does a comparison on various targets with both filters to ascertain which is better. Especially galaxies.

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for any reviews and comparisons. 

• ALTAIR
On 1/30/2024 at 7:21 PM, DanP said:

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for any reviews and comparisons. 

Hi Dan, I just stumbled over this test for luminance channel - with a mono camera - Ryan is a beta tester: 

On 2/1/2024 at 6:50 PM, nickaltair said:

Hi Dan, I just stumbled over this test for luminance channel - with a mono camera - Ryan is a beta tester: 

Thanks! I'll take a look.