Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Deep Sky Dad AF3 died - NOW WORKING AGAIN!!!

TerryMcK

My DSD AF3 equipped RedCat51 has died. It was working well whilst testing it the other day using NINA. Then the PC I was testing the rig on blue screened. When it came back up everything connected ok again apart from the USB device previously called “Arduino Device” that now shows as unknown usb equipment. I swapped out the USB cable for a new one and it still reported the same error. 

I tried it out on another imaging computer and still the same. So the board inside the motor had died. I looked up the code that DSD has on Github and see it is a nanoatmega328. I went over to the PiHut to see if they had any in stock but the last ones had sold out and they were awaiting stock.

A look around the interwebs for a replacement AF3 found they also were waiting for stock. I didn’t want to buy direct from DSD as it would go through the dreaded EU/UK import regulations and would end up costing a packet more.

I found a DSD AF kit that uses the ZWO EF motor so have ordered that from a UK supplier. I’ve gradually been replacing all my scopes focusing motors with the little ZWO unit as it doesn’t require a 12volt supply as the DSD and Lakeside ones do so it cuts down on the number of 12v splitter cables that seemed to populate each of my scopes. The ZWO one takes power from the USB cable.

IMG_0545.jpeg.7af46552730e427b1a70d045c69e8d86.jpeg

DSD show it fitted to a SpaceCat which is silver instead of red but you get the idea 😉 

IMG_0546.jpeg.a3e36fd3a304398459fc6c0c459222cf.jpeg

I got the delivery of the replacement DSD ZWO EAF kit today complete with a ZWO EAF. It took half of my lunch break to remove the older AF3 based kit with its mounting bracket and helical focus wheel also fitting of the new ZWO based DSD bracket and mounting bracket was a doddle and I have it back on the portable mount for testing.

All I have to do is wait for some clear skies and get it out to set the AF steps and any backlash settings, not expecting any to be fair, within N.I.N.A. But as we all know purchasing any astronomy gear results in clouds so .... sorry everybody.

• Like 1

Well, that certainly sounds like the 'kiss-of-death' Terry 😂

At least you have prepared yourself in advance for any possible disappointment.

I hope all goes well for you 🤞

Crikey, l didn’t even understand half of that let alone have the ability to know what to do to repair it.  

Hope it works with the new thingy. 

Carole

• Haha 1

Thanks Carole. When I look at the post again I see it is full of techno-babble LOL

34 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Crikey, l didn’t even understand half of that let alone have the ability to know what to do to repair it.  

Hope it works with the new thingy. 

Carole

Thanks Carole. When I look at the post again I see it is full of techno-babble LOL

Essentially the Deep Sky Dad autofocuser on my RedCat had stopped working so I've replaced it with a ZWO auto focuser.

• Like 1

Good to hear you resolved the problem Terry. I have a DSD unit for my Redcat, let’s hope the problem isn’t spreading. For me the migration of the ZWO focuser from 12v to 5v was disappointing given my systems have 12v distribution boards fitted, so I am defaulted to Pegasus cube units. Clearly the 5v units align with the ASIAir roadmap, shame they didn’t continue 12v units as well.  

I've opened up the AF3 motor Martin and it is very well made. The circuit boards are in the 3D printed top cap and if I can workout which one has failed I'm sure it is a simple matter of replacing that board and flashing the firmware again. At a guess I reckon it is the right hand one in this blurry picture below as that has the usb connector. DSD has made all the software available on GitHub.

dsdaf3.jpg.40db414f7442a9152c662aa4ff0eaf58.jpg

Oh just noticed there is a button on it too. Might be a reset button.

Looks like an Arduino. If it is, that is indeed a re-set button.

Graeme

Yes it is an Arduino Nano Mega 328 which are cheap as chips on PiHut. None in stock when I checked last Saturday but seem to be in stock now. If the reset button does work the may have spent £££ for nothing LOL.

However I have now replaced nearly all of my autofocuser’s with ZWO’s, not because of any desire to go down the ASIAir route, but just to cut down the number of 12 volt gizmos on the rigs.

The last one to replace is the AM3 on the solar scope. But as that is still working I will put up with the 12v feed to it and the extra 5v to the etalon.

Well I do declare!

After taking the motor apart, removing the Arduino board and assembly, connecting it to 12v and USB, then pressing the reset button it all came back to life and is working again.

So £££ spent for nothing. Ah well you live and learn.

If anybody else has a similar problem then take the motor apart and press the reset button before spending cash on another focus motor.

How frustrating Terry. As said I have a DSD unit for my Redcat, is there a small hole in the motor case to insert a tool to reset the board without dismantling the whole unit?

No there isn’t a hole Martin as the reset button is actually facing the end of the motor when the cap is in situ. Removal of the motor is easy enough and the end cap is held in place with just 2 counter sunk allen socket screws. Once removed the cap comes off with a 4 wire cable attached to the motor and plugs into a socket on the system board.,which is in the end cap. You don’t have to unhitch the cable as there is plenty of play in the cable. 

The reset button is on the Arduino board as shown on the photo.

I’ll take some more photos and post when I get the chance.