Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

WarpAstron WD-20 harmonic drive mount

TerryMcK

Cuiv has a very interesting video on this new harmonic drive mount from an unknown (to me) manufacturer called WarpAstron. https://www.warpastron.com/2023/12/07/wd-20-harmonic-drive-mount/?lang=en

It weighs 5.4kg and has a standard load capacity of 22kg@ 25cm from the RA axis without counterweight. The company also manufacture a smaller WD-17S mount which will handle 15kg @ 20cm from the RA axis without counterweight.

There are drivers for usage in NINA so not sure if that is just ASCOM OnStep driver or a native LX200 type Windows driver and INDI so Raspberry PI4, ASIAIR, Stellarmate etc are accommodated.

Cuiv makes a point of how silent this drive actually is. Great for those of us who don't want to disturb neighbours in the dead of night when slewing.

The current price shown as on backorder direct from WarpAstron seems to be US$3199. Let's hope to see these for sale soon in the UK.

The future for strain wave mounts is looking good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

The future for strain wave mounts is looking good.

I agree Terry, this strain wave/harmonic drive technology could do the same to GEM/CEM mounts as CMOS did to CCD. The performance both in terms of mount size/weight to load capacity and also tracking will reset the expectation of what a 'observatory class' mount actually means.

Having used an AM5 for past 6 months or so I have to say its so straight forward to setup, no faffing with multiple axis balance and once you dial in the guiding with multi star and 0.5-1s exposures it delivers excellent guiding, I seen regularly <0.7rms and as good as 0.4rms. 

If I replace my ALT-AZ EQ6 thats in my Skyshed POD in future then I would seriously consider a strain wave mount

Bryan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very interesting post and mount thanks. It’s reassuring to see a manufacturer actually properly describe payload capacity properly in terms of mass and geometry, which bodes well. Just having a simple usb-c input is what IOptron should have done in the first place. A bit pricey but very attractive in other respects. From what I’ve see it’s friendly to NINA and KStars, with CUIV using his SM Pro. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well after getting 2 faulty Ioptron CEM70's i'm done with Ioptron, and this might be an option. As long as it can carry upto 25kg with a counterweight on a permanent pier.

The only real disappointment is having to plug cables into moving parts, that was a bit of a dumb move in the design.

• Like 1

What do people reckon for good pier or tri-per mounting options, in particular that use the 3 M6 bolts (which I'd prefer for larger payloads). I've got an Ioptron tri-pier and also an Altair one with the IOptron head. Looks like the ZWO PE200 would link this (or the AM5) to the GEM45 holes on either of those? I don't want the ZWO tripod as well. The 3/8 photo thread I guess is fine for small rigs. 

Good point about the inputs being on moving parts. That might create issues with usb-c connections.