Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

SvBony SV215 3-8mm ‘Planetary’ Zoom

Nightspore

Zoom eyepieces are renowned for intrinsic problems. With multiple air to glass components and often several moving parts there is considerable margin for error and optical misalignment. If only everything was as simple and efficient as a Plossl or an Abbe orthoscopic! Over a month had passed since I had acquired a brand spanking new SvBony SV215 3-8mm ‘Planetary’ Zoom.

yxF0tnXl.jpg

It was very reminiscent of my Tele Vue Nagler 3-6mm zoom, except, at £129.99, it was around a quarter of the price (and that was before the big TV price increase a few years ago).

Ly8DL8Tl.jpg

Not only that, it had a whole 2mm extra range. Of course, I was itching to get it outside and view me some universe with the little red and silver zoom. Which interestingly matches the livery on my Altair perfectly, seriously ameliorating my OCD. Unfortunately weeks of cloud went by, with no respite from the lumpy sky porridge. Finally on Sunday the 3rd of March I could actually see stars outside. Not only that but the jetstream was looking favourable too.

uXxcJhXl.jpg

I decided on taking the Altair 60 EDF aka the ‘Titchy Sixty’ out. With, dig this, just three eyepieces! A 36mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric, a Baader Hyperion Zoom (BHZ) and the SV215. 

rxy2PQWl.jpg

Giving me a range of between 10x to 120x (6mm-0.5mm exit pupil), with everything in between, pretty neat eh? The SvBony blurb states a parfocal constant 56° apparent field of view. Well, the AFOV is pretty constant anyway (it’s actually more parfocal than the BHZ). The clickstop is firm, easy to operate, and very similar to the TV Nagler. Apparently there are six elements in four groups. The 37.5mm (1.25”) EP weighs in at a reassuringly chunky 200 grams. There is a rubber eyeguard which can flip up or down.

K2u8LBCl.jpg

There are filter threads located in the barrel, which also features a Tele Vue style tapered lower lip undercut.

dakGflTl.jpg

I spent the first few minutes in Orion’s Belt with the 36mm Aspheric. Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka of the belt along with the Serpent Cluster looked good, although the overall seeing was a little disappointing. This was probably the relatively high humidity not untypical at this time of the year. My original plan was to enjoy the ridiculously wide exit pupil and corresponding FOV of the 2” Aspheric before switching to the BHZ, eventually culminating in using the SV215. Of course, I was way too excited and ignored the BHZ all night and went straight for the petit (but strangely weighty) SvBony zoom. It’s been ages since I’ve tried a new eyepiece (months at least lol). M42 looked great with the zoom. I get 45x - 120x with the f/6 Titchy. Zooming in and out of the nebula and the Trapezium stars was great fun. Beetlejuice (cough) I mean, Betelgeuse, was very red-orange, and didn’t even explode while I was observing it. In late 2019 Betelgeuse dimmed slightly, but since April 2023 has more or less returned to its former self. My guess is that a Death Star or Zeta Reticulan Battle Fleet caused the dimming. That or occluding dust created by a surface mass ejection event which subsequently cooled (personally I prefer the Death Star explanation). 

kfqgqnsl.jpg

The Hyades and Pleiades were up next although some of the sky porridge started to ominously reappear. In desperation I turned to a low Jupiter setting in the west at barely 20° altitude. Callisto, Io and Ganymede were nicely defined. Interestingly I thought the zoom showed excellent acuity on the Jovian surface at around 80x-100x. I’m pretty sure I got a hint of a transiting Europa at around 21:45 GMT. Jupiter is usually undefined and distinctly woolly  at this altitude, although the SvB zoom quite sharply defined the equatorial zones well. I did think that there was a tiny bit of scatter on very bright stars, although I would state that it fell short of actual ghosting (Yvette Fielding would be quite disappointed). The scatter was hardly noticeable however and certainly not detrimental. I saw the Beehive at 45x which I believe gives me one arc degree and fourteen arc minutes of field with the little SvBony zoom. The bees were a buzz! Zooms really come into their own splitting doubles. Iota Cass was beautiful, I was impressed with the vivid colour separation of all three stars. Achird split very nicely and I had fun zooming in on the Owl Cluster. The striking orange-red double Algieba (Gamma Leonis) was essentially a no-brainer and also resolved beautifully. 

Gs5ZWDR.png

The Jewel of the crown however was the quite widely spaced (just over twenty arc seconds) 24 Comae Berenices aka The Spring Albireo. Again, the colour separation was stunning. At 269 light years distant I was viewing what is essentially a triple system (although I could only see the two stars) as it was in 1755 CE. Interestingly, in March 1755, a Newcomen Atmospheric Engine (your guess is as good as mine) was first used in the American Colonies. Although I’m also guessing it didn’t have Mamod written on it. After a couple of hours the frost got to me and I reluctantly packed up.

The SvBony SV215 3-8mm ‘Planetary’ Zoom is a very nice piece of kit. Notwithstanding its very competitive price. It compares well with the Tele Vue Nagler, which it resembles. I’m very pleased with it. I feel as happy as Lala Tamar. Peace out!

• Like 2

Great write up on what sounds like a nice eyepiece.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Great write up on what sounds like a nice eyepiece.

Thanks Terry. I'm rather pleased with the zoom. I've got a few zooms, and most have some problems. The SV215 is pretty nice. If only the weather was lol.

Interesting and informative. I enjoyed reading your report.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anaximander said:

Interesting and informative. I enjoyed reading your report.

Thanks. I'm not sure who SvBony are (they're almost certainly a marketing front) but they produce some excellent and affordable equipment.

• Like 1