Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Upgrade to my old ED80

AstronomyUkraine

I decided to upgrade my old ED80. It's an 18 year old original Black Diamond from Skywatcher. The optics themselves are in great shape, it was the focuser that was letting it down. It was no longer holding my gear, no matter how much I adjusted the focuser.

I replaced the focuser with a Baader Steeltrack focuser, and a Baader Clicklock. To complete the upgrade I purchased a Wega adapter for my ZWO EAF, specially made for the Steeltrack focuser, and a pair of scope rings from PrimaLuceLab.

20240408_190730.jpg.e2fc94a5cad4e606336b0f6c172fddca.jpg

My ED80 with the old focuser on it, and new scope rings.

20240408_191141.jpg.469b64ee9d5e25da3d01bcdd56333699.jpg

My ED80 with the new focuser attached.

20240408_194454.jpg

My ED80 complete with new Wega adapter for my EAF.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 2

Very nice. I've often wondered about those Baader's. My ED80 stock focuser was OK but I wanted a rotating focuser.

RgNk58L.jpg

My first was a MoonLite, however, it had certain problems. 

8AbYvM5.jpg

Eventually I swapped it for a Long Perng (Sky-Watcher). No problems with the screws holding it in the OTA, unlike the borked MoonLite. Plus it was longer than the MoonLite and thus better at f/7.5. It is smoother to focus with than the BorkLite, although it doesn't rotate as well IME. The old joke about the ED80 is that is quality glass in an average housing and OTA. Replacing the focuser makes a big difference.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

Very nice. I've often wondered about those Baader's. My ED80 stock focuser was OK but I wanted a rotating focuser.

The focuser is very smooth, and can hold up to 6Kg of weight. The focuser itself doesn't rotate, but with the addition of the Baader Clicklock, rotation is very simple, and effective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The focuser is very smooth, and can hold up to 6Kg of weight. The focuser itself doesn't rotate, but with the addition of the Baader Clicklock, rotation is very simple, and effective.

I have a Baader ClickLock adapter. They're nice but I need to be able to rotate the focuser with only one hand with the ED80.

fAA2KqB.jpg

Looks good. I upgraded to a baader focuser on my 102. As you say very smooth operation. However I’ve upgraded my scope since and so it doesn’t get much use now.

• Like 1