Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New Diagonal

Scopeman

Got a lovely new Williams Optics Durabright diagonal, lovely build, got the William Optics prism diagonal on its way too for lunar/planetary observing.

20221021_155332.jpg

It looks nice. How heavy is it? 

iB4I2hY.jpg

Odd info about the Asian Amici prisms.

A5zOOIF.jpg

All the threads are compatible with each other. It's a different thread size to conventional prisms. 

Surprisingly weighty for its size and the CF sides on it. I bought an OVL 2" to 1.25" twist lock and I'm not sure it is working properly. When I twist it shut on the nosepiece of the diagonal uder slight pressure you can still twist the diagonal from side to side. You can't pull it out it is just moveable, albeit stiffly, from side to side. The clamping ring will slip around the barrel of the nosepiece and or where the other side of it sits in the twist lock housing. Now my Baaders don't do this but then I thought about it and wondered if it was a feature whereby it will not fall out but it is for adjusting the angle of the diagonal without undoing it to move it, I don't know, do you? 

Edited by Scopeman

10 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Surprisingly weighty for its size and the CF sides on it. I bought an OVL 2" to 1.25" twist lock and I'm not sure it is working properly. When I twist it shut on the nosepiece of the diagonal uder slight pressure you can still twist the diagonal from side to side. You can't pull it out it is just moveable, albeit stiffly, from side to side. The clamping ring will slip around the barrel of the nosepiece and or where the other side of it sits in the twist lock housing. Now my Baaders don't do this but then I thought about it and wondered if it was a feature whereby it will not fall out but it is for adjusting the angle of the diagonal without undoing it to move it, I don't know, do you? 

I think it's just a design fault. It happens on the one I have as well. As a consequence I don't use it. 

orion.jpg.e06b31c5d807d3198b29de6cdf09a70e.jpg

It's similar to the twist-lock of this 'Orion' (Long Perng) 1.25" dielectric. I don't think it would actually allow anything to fall out once tightened. I'm not happy about it though and as a consequence rarely use it. I usually use a 2" dielectric anyway.

245gkrO.jpg

With a standard GSO adapter.

• Like 1

Yes, that was my initial idea with the 1.25" Orion dielectric. However, I've since discovered that I can carry the Porta/TL-130 and the ST80 grab and go bag in one go. Basically I shortened the strap on the carrying bag.

mFx3qjG.jpg

In this way it sits higher on my back. 

G20Kzu0.jpg

All this actually weighs less than my 127mm Mak' grab and go bag. Everything was specifically chosen for low weight. When I realised that I could carry the 127mm and the Porta/TL at the same time it was a bit of a revelation. Again, it was only a matter of balance as they're being carried. If I'm careful it's only one journey there and back. Who'd have thunk? lol

Edited by Nightspore

Just sent a vid to RVO where that adapter came from and it is indeed faulty. They are sending a returns lable and shipping a tested replacement on Monday for me!

Edited by Scopeman

19 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Just sent a vid to RVO where that adapter came from and it is indeed faulty. They are sending a returns lable and shipping a tested replacement on Monday for me!

Good luck. Although I have to say that all of the twistlock adapters I have, except the Baader, slip slightly after being tightened.

That's just it they shouldn't do. I was beginnng to think as it was locked to stop it falling out that it may have been some sort of feature for positioning the diagonal but after talking to Adam at RVO that isn't the case. If you ever get anything like that happening again he said to return them to wherever you got it from as they most certainly should not do that at all. He is going through all his stock to see if there is a good one to ship out on Monday for me. All faulty ones including mine will be returned to OVL or whoever they are for replacement! Whatever happened to QC eh? Not only at manufacturers but at RVO too! 

41 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

That's just it they shouldn't do. I was beginnng to think as it was locked to stop it falling out that it may have been some sort of feature for positioning the diagonal but after talking to Adam at RVO that isn't the case. If you ever get anything like that happening again he said to return them to wherever you got it from as they most certainly should not do that at all. He is going through all his stock to see if there is a good one to ship out on Monday for me. All faulty ones including mine will be returned to OVL or whoever they are for replacement! Whatever happened to QC eh? Not only at manufacturers but at RVO too! 

Yes, it is disconcerting. I think my Starwave originally had a bundled twistlock 2" - 1.25" adapter. Although I think it worked fine I swapped all of my adapters for Baader ones years ago. I made the decision to remove any weak links in the light train. So upgrading my diagonals and 2"-1.25" adapters was a no brainer.

fAA2KqB.jpg

My 60EDF has a Baader clicklock. 

s7xcv7u.jpg

The TV low profile adapter is now on my 80ED Evostar.

22Ed07d.jpg

I use the two-screw Baader adapters on virtually everything else. 

tia3jeT.jpg

I guess, I did manage to rig this up but could only do it with a Baader 2" to 1.25" click locks due to an adaptor that had to be used to hold the mounting plate for the electric focuser. It is held on with small Allen key grub screws to said adaptor and seems to work well....

20221022_160352.jpg

5 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

The WO 1.25" prism diagonal came today.....

20221022_172129.jpg

These aren't bad at all. Mine still get used for incidental lunar viewing.

48 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

I prefer the round thumbscrews to these but hey, they work I guess

I think WO thumbscrews change sometimes.

Voz3n47.jpg

I don't know why the design change of the helical Amici. Although they could suffer from unseated prisms occasionally.

Cfklcn7.jpg

I have more than one of these. They were originally intended for light grab and go lunar set-ups.

36dtTRt.jpg

I had difficulties with the first of the new type. This one above was a problem. Eyepieces used to stick in it. I tried everything to fix it. Eventually I removed the compression ring. I contacted Adam (RVO) to explain the problem. He said they'd exchange it but I ordered a second. I replaced the eyepiece holder with an old GSO Amici holder. I don't need a helical with my 72ED. I use the WO/GSO for occasional lunar viewing with the 72ED. 

iB4I2hY.jpg

17 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Side by side with the Dura Bright the Prism is about .5 to .75cm narrower in width

It wouldn't surprise me as these prisms are primarily designed for diurnal observing. 

10 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Like prisms in binos? Day time use.

Yeah, I assume so. I don't know if there's any phase coating. Although apparently phase coating isn't particularly suitable for astronomical use. I don't know the veracity of this. The WO Amicis are good for the Moon though. At a push they can be used for rich field/deep sky. I think they only have 22mm aperture though. 

40 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Looks about 22mm yes, why so narrow, the Dura Bright is a bit wider but not by much

Apparently about 22mm is all that's needed for daylight observing. Another reason that I upgraded all my 1.25" mirror or prism diagonals a few years ago. They're either Baader, TV or Takahashi. 

cHgIpnq.jpg

The Tak's a really nice prism. The housing on the other hand is like it fell out of a Christmas cracker.

chWulRw.jpg

Don't get me started about the twist lock lol.

Edited by Nightspore