Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Vixen Half Pier & Slow Motion Controls

Scopeman

The Vixen half pier arrived earlier followed by the flexible slow motion controls to replace the stock rubbish for my grab and go AP2 mount and TL130 tripod. Ready to go hopefully if weather holds out, if it doesn't I apologise in advance, lol

20221018_140056.jpg

20221018_140145.jpg

Are they Vixen slo mo cables? I received a pair with my Porta II/TL-130 combo. Vixen cables can be pushed right on to the slo mo spigots with no problems. But I discovered years ago that other cables couldn't be pushed to their maximum on the Porta II spigots because the thumb screw would catch the azimuth mount. 

They are Skywatchers, the top one is close but doesn't touch, I have just backed the control off a bit for a tad more clearance but they really do not need to be pushed all the way to the end otherwise you'd get friction on the end of it. So long as the thumbscrew can do up on the flat part of the spigot there is absolutely no issue at all and work perfectly. Besides, if you did push it all the way home then the thumbscrew is on the limit of the flat surface of the spigot. Just backed it off a couple of mm. Hated the cheap platic oes it came with, they are awful.

Edited by Scopeman

26 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Looking good. I like the EVH/Marshall amp to blow the cobwebs out too.

Thanks, yes the EVH is awesome, been a Marshall man all my adult life but fancied trying something new, the EVH is truly awesome. I only run it on half of its capability and even that can blow the windows out, quite a powerful little valve amp.

IMG_20220505_193051968.jpg

Edited by Scopeman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scopeman said:

Thanks, yes the EVH is awesome, been a Marshall man all my adult life but fancied trying something new, the EVH is truly awesome. I only run it on half of its capability and even that can blow the windows out, quite a powerful little valve amp.

IMG_20220505_193051968.jpg

Very, very nice rig.

• Like 1

They are Skywatchers, the top one is close but doesn't touch, I have just backed the control off a bit for a tad more clearance but they really do not need to be pushed all the way to the end otherwise you'd get friction on the end of it. So long as the thumbscrew can do up on the flat part of the spigot there is absolutely no issue at all and work perfectly. Besides, if you did push it all the way home then the thumbscrew is on the limit of the flat surface of the spigot. Just backed it off a couple of mm. Hated the cheap platic oes it came with, they are awful.

The actual Vixen ones can be pushed right up. I tried to get Vixen cables but they seem rarer than an honest politician. I ended up with knobs.

DrgPYBg.jpg

The beautiful thing about the knobs is that: (a) they don't keep falling off and (b) I can just pull the entire combo out of the bag with one hand and don't have to attach slo mo cables. 

Yes, thhat is what I wanted all this new gear for, I cant just take it all ut in one go and add the ots and off you go virtually

Mine are about 2mm away, so quite close. I also think you can get short thumbscrews too, I may look through my spares and if I don't have any look into seeing if I can get some.

20221018_162954.jpg

What I liked about the Vixen cables was that I could just reattach them in the dark relatively easily when they inevitably fell off. I didn't have to worry about gauging the distance of the end of the cable. Whether Vixen achieves this by design or serendipity I have no idea. Either way, I now have knobs. lol

3 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Here you go, solid as a rock!

20221018_161802.jpg

20221018_161836.jpg

Yeah, looks good, should be fine. Especially with a 127mm Mak. The pillar adds a significant amount of damping weight.

OiRjLMu.jpg

The thing about actually having brain damage is that 'brainwaves' are not always as good as they could be.

XNIeo5q.jpg

I decided to use an SvBony Barlow housing as an extension tube. This would enable me to deploy the Takahashi 'before the diagonal' Barlow on my 80ED/Porta II. Let's say, there were vibration issues lol.

YSipQme.jpg

Also, my third Porta II (bought during covid), has brass spigots as opposed to them being chromed-brass like my older mounts. I'm guessing supply chain issues.

I will convert my FLT91 back to a smaller dovetail bar, as it is on a Losmandy atm, and  try that at some point soon too. I am sure it will all be good though. I must admit after ordering it all I was getting a bit nervy about it all as it was all coming from Germany. But it all turned out way better that I thought and I am very happy with it and will be even happier if the FLT91 works on it too.

19 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Bless you, it must e hard for you. The spigots on my AP2 are brass and I prefer them to chromed tbh

Some of my ideas work lol. I initially tested the extension tube in daylight. I honestly didn't see any vibration return problems. Of course, planetary observation is a different thing altogether. Live and learn, right? 

I have no idea why Vixen aren't having their spigots chromed. SvBony have changed to unfinished brass on some of their products. I reckon the 'chrome' is only cosmetic anyway. 

Yes, the magnifications involved shows up everything. The chrome ones may looky pretty but are useless for grip, no brass for me all day long.

22 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

I will convert my FLT91 back to a smaller dovetail bar, as it is on a Losmandy atm, and  try that at some point soon too. I am sure it will all be good though. I must admit after ordering it all I was getting a bit nervy about it all as it was all coming from Germany. But it all turned out way better that I thought and I am very happy with it and will be even happier if the FLT91 works on it too.

I think Altair sell lightweight dovetails. 

ceCYLU4.jpg

This red one was taken off an X-ring option for the EDF60. It's very light.

2 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Yes, the magnifications involved shows up everything. The chrome ones may looky pretty but are useless for grip, no brass for me all day long.

I really wanted to use the Tak' Barlow. I didn't realise it needed an extension tube when I bought it. I'll have to slum it with a 2x Tele Vue.

K6FlFoc.jpg

So the plain brass is probably an improvement then? I can live with that. 

Needs an extension tube? Does it really? Not heard of that before.

Tak' recommend one. I couldn't achieve focus with my f/7.5, 80ED DS Pro without an extension. Other scopes might be OK but I don't have personal experience.  

I know you have to do that with focal reducers especially with cameras but never heard of that for visual before on a Barlow, I wouldn't bother. I don't like Barlows anyway as the magnification varies depending on where it is placed. I much prefer tele extenders as the magnification stays the same wherever you place it in the chain. Sounds like you might be better off with a tele extender.

Edited by Scopeman

kt7Y3Bn.jpg

I have a few.

Tm9rnDk.jpg

The Tak' is very light. It's almost like it came out of a Christmas cracker, not unlike the Tak' prism. So technically less vibration return, or so I initially surmised. The extenders aren't particularly heavy though.

I like the TV 2.5, if you ever want to sell it 😁. I have a fair few Explore Scientific 2" and 1.25" and a nice set of Pentax eps

Edited by Scopeman