Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Explore Scientific Eyepiece

Scopeman

Just received my Explore Scientific Argon purged 6.5mm Lunar/ Planetary eyepiece from FLO. Just love the build quality of these eyepieces.

20221028_142518.jpg

20221028_153915.jpg

20221028_153939.jpg

20221028_153843.jpg

Edited by Scopeman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scopeman

• Nightspore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks good.

p9oZAjRl.jpg

I only have one 6.5mm eyepiece.

XPvTlP2l.jpg

It's a Plossl. It's also almost certainly out of the same factory (JOC) as your ES.

YYuGZ5ol.jpg

It's nicely built. Brass-Chrome smooth barrel. Excellent optics. Even the rubber is good quality.

The exit pupil looks quite small, how do you cope with that. This is the ES

20221028_173511.jpg

Edited by Scopeman

I have no problem using Plossls and ortho's. TBH they can't really be beaten for high magnification lunar/planetary. I do like the Barsta UWA's and TMB clones though. They only have an extra lens (usually a negative Smyth type).

Although most of my body hardly functions these days; ironically my eyesight is perfect. 

exit2.thumb.jpg.06fb59e044bcc371829f4e209b200bbb.jpg

If the revamped Ubuntu calculator is correct it gives me around an 0.5mm exit pupil with the 127mm Mak'.

Cool, I have 3 Baader Classic planetary Orthos up for sale if you're interested. I got them but never used them in the end.

3 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Cool, I have 3 Baader Classic planetary Orthos up for sale if you're interested. I got them but never used them in the end.

I already have them. The 10mm BCO is probably my most used eyepiece on the 127mm SkyMax.

pqHiMEO.jpg

You can see it here with the Baader Zeiss Amici aimed at the Moon. I've taken the eyeguard off and also now have a close fitting dust cap borrowed from a borked ortho'. Apparently the BCO's are based on an old Zeiss Abbe orthoscopic design but with an enlarged field stop to aid target acquisition. I have a bino pair of the 32mm BCO's. Although they are actually a Plossl.

Baader PDF 

I haven't been out for a month. I'm on the Worc's/Staff's border (Midlands) in the greenbelt.

Edited by Nightspore

Tried the 6.5 out looking down the road just to see what it is like and it works nicely on the 127 so should be awesome on the 180!

Approx 237x in the 127mm.

Approx 415x in the 180mm.

You could very probably get these on some targets, depending on conditions of course. I can often get a good 257x with the 127mm SkyMax. 360x is often do-able on Mars with my 150mm Newtonian.  

I know the threads are different on a Clestron and SW, just wanted to know what the rear fitting was on the Celestron, T2, M94, I get confused with it all.

The SW have T2 now. I use the caps from Baader diagonals as dust caps for my Mak's.

Llja7x5.jpg

yb9KPPb.jpg

Edited by Nightspore

kdms3OF.jpg

Speaking of ES EP's. A while ago I decided to replace my 19mm Luminos with an 18mm ES. They have equivalent fields of view. I quite like the Luminos, even with the 'problem' of EOFB inter alia. Unfortunately the 19mm Luminos is just too heavy on most of my set-ups. I waited nine months from the retailer before they could obtain the 18mm ES for me. It is better edge corrected but I find the eye relief less ergonomic when using it with scopes slower than f/5.

YaXfdWc.jpg

Having to wait nine months does make me wonder about ES supply chain problems, and why they have a new 6.5mm as they have the 6.7mm. 

vmOEkEl.jpg

8 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Now I am being told it is a specific Mak thread not a T2, so still none the wiser!

AFAIK the 'Sky-Watcher' Mak's changed to a standard T2 a few years ago. Whereas Celestron threads stayed the same.

10 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Are they different FOV sizes? My 6.5 is only the 52 degree which is fine for what I want. 

Oh right, sorry, the 6.7mm is 82°.