Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Explore Scientific Eyepiece

Scopeman

Thought it might be, that's wht there are two different focal lengths then. I don't need widefield for Lunar/Planetary, however, I do have some 82's for larger DSO's etc., not a faint fuzzy person really.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scopeman

• Nightspore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Scopeman said:

Is a 4.5mm pushing it too much?

Depends.

skiIyakl.jpg

I have a 4.5mm TMB clone. Gives 111x on my ST102, 200x on my Newtonian, 158x on my ED-R and a probably unusable 342x on my 127mm Skymax. Which is a diminutive 0.37mm exit pupil! 

Edited by Nightspore

I was thinking if too much for the 127Mak, what about the 180 or the FLT91? If it were worth getting one I'd get the ES again as the lenses are bigger than that.   

21 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

FL of 2700mm on the Mak180 and 540mm on the FLT91

The 120x on the FLT91 would be useful.

Just now, Scopeman said:

It will give 230x on my Celestron 127 Mak, that is ok isn't it?

Yeah, should be. I thought the Celestron 127mm Mak was the same as the f/12.1 SW SkyMax and Orion 127mm StarMax (both Synta). 

Synta 127's are 1540mm, so 342.2x technically. 300x should be 60x per inch. Not sure a Synta 127 would be up for much over that. A refractor should do 60x per inch, or even 70x and higher pretty easily. Not sure about a Mak.  

My Celestron is the same as your SW Mak. You confused me a bit there, at the end you put 'Not sure about a Mak', I'm thinking your SW 127 is a Mak though, but I think you may have meant ot say 'a Celestron Mak' possibly?

6 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

My Celestron is the same as your SW Mak. You confused me a bit there, at the end you put 'Not sure about a Mak', I'm thinking your SW 127 is a Mak though, but I think you may have meant ot say 'a Celestron Mak' possibly?

You can often push a refractor with good glass to 60x or 70x per inch of aperture. Maybe more in some conditions. I don't think you can push any reflecting scopes more than 60x per inch. I can sometimes get 360x with my 6" Newtonian, on some targets. It's not often though and usually targets like Mars.

Lol, it is. I think I have enough now anyway.lunar/pla

ES 25mm, 20mm, 15mm, 10mm & 6.5mm

TV Radian 8mm

TV Plossls 32mm & 40mm

ES 2x Tele converter

WO Prism diagonal

WO Dielectric diagonal

And my Lunar/Planetary ADC unit

Then I have 4 or 5 2" Eps 

2" Tele converter

2" Prism diagonal

2" Dielectic diagonal