Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Gina's Observatory

Gina

Posted by: @stub-mandrel

One, rarely mentioned, benefit of an ROR over a dome is that it doesn't stand out on Google maps and attract the wrong sort of attention...

Yes, that was one reason I went for that sort.  The other was cost.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gina

• MarkAR

• Carastro

• Jkulin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted by: @AstroOlly

@gina

I do like the design of yours Gina, and think it will suit the space that I have..

Oh good.  I hope you may get some ideas from my build.  Some of it is conventional, some isn't.  My apex roof seems to be a different orientation from many.  That is to do with the way I seal the join between ROR and warm room roof.

Here is a diagram showing how the ROR seals onto the warm room roof when closed and rainwater flows from the west side of the ROR onto the warm room roof and thence into the guttering.  The east side of the ROR has its own guttering.  The rubber roofing is carried from the roofs round the beams to form a seal.  This isextremely effective and I have had no horizontal rain penetrate into the scope room.

Diagram1.png.73f311d97a4520bc9c8619f17447368f.png

Once the block hole had been dug I dug 6 holes 2ft square and a foot deep into which concrete was poured to provide foundations for the shed part of the observatory.  I don't seem to have photos of this.  ON top of these blocks are 3 large wooden beams - second hand barn roof beams 7"x3".  The fittings were removed and then they were given several coats of real creosote.

The beams were laid on the blocks and checked for level with adjustment a necessary.

post-25795-133877625047.jpg

Please bear with me as I try to learn to use this forum software.  Sometimes I can post several images in a post and sometimes only the one.  It could be that I have my images hosted in different places.

These next photos show the shuttering and board that forms the top of the block and other preparations for pouring the block and pier.  Note that these were poured in one go to avoid a weakness between the two.

post-25795-133877626621.jpgpost-25795-133877626629.jpg

The threaded rods and rebar were held together with established spacing and the template block removed.

post-25795-133877626707.jpg

Tied with string at the bottom.

post-25795-133877626714.jpg

The modified (bottomless) large plastic flower pots were taped together with duct tape and fixed in the hole with wooden blocks,

post-25795-13387762673.jpg

Then th board was fitted in the right position on the shuttering and fastened temporarily with wood screws.

post-25795-133877626737.jpg

This shows a cardboard tube titted to the top pot to provide the containment for the concrete for the pier.

post-25795-133877626745.jpg

That concluded the preparation prior to pouring the concrete which follows on the next day.

Looking good. Ingenious use of the flowerpots. I don't have anything so fancy, just a square concrete pad facing north. ? 

• Like 1

Now for the "unboxing" ie. removing the shuttering etc.

post-25795-133877630702.jpgpost-25795-133877630711.jpg

post-25795-133877630728.jpg

post-25795-133877630734.jpg

post-25795-133877630743.jpg

I had to clear cement out of the threads of the 4 threaded rods that protrude above the top of the concrete. And here I can give advice to those building a concrete pier... use something to protect the top inch or so of the threads from cement/concrete, because however careful you are, you are bound to get some on the threads. Several nuts or nuts and washers, masking tape or whatever or even a thick grease. Then you won't have to clear the threads afterwards. So it's a case of "do as I say not as I did"! <blush>

I found that despite my efforts to provide strong supports for the rods, a couple of them moved off station when I poked the concrete into every corner. Fortunately, I quite expected this and hadn't yet drilled the holes for them in the bottom steel plate of my pier adapter.

Here is a view of the top of the pier showing the rods out of position.

post-25795-133877630917.jpg

I took a piece of cardboard and "persuaded" it to fit the rods with a hammer!  Then I used this as a template to drill the pier plate.

post-25795-133877630925.jpg

Posted by: @Gina

Fortunately, I quite expected this and hadn't yet drilled the holes for them in the bottom steel plate of my pier adapter.

Maybe you could have drilled the holes in the plate first, and used it to keep the rods in place? ? 

Cardboard tube removed from pier.  What looks like a crack in the concrete isn't - it's just where there was a flaw in the cardboard tube.

post-25795-133877630983.jpg

Pier plate drilled and placed on the studs.

post-25795-133877631178.jpg

post-25795-133877631171.jpg

Here a full view ot the pier and plate.  It looks a bit off upright but that can be corrected with the mount.  It doesn't affect imaging.  There's still the flower pots to remove.

post-25795-133877631304.jpg

Bottom pier adapter plate now fastened to pier rods. Painted with white Hammerite to match the NEQ6 I was using at that time.

A couple of photos :-

post-25795-13387763391.jpg

post-25795-133877633916.jpg

Second plate plus home made NEQ6 adapter added.

post-25795-133877634208.jpg