Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Grab And Go Mak 127

Scopeman

Oh it has, hang on thre a minute, this Renaissance wax is the best stuff, expensive but so worth it......

Edited by Scopeman

Don't they just, a good little tip there if anyone asks you, lol. Happy days, well pleased, they look brand new again!

• Like 1

I like it to be honest, not used it a lot, as I said, my Dad died towards the latter end of last year so had a lot to deal with and sort out,  lost a bit of my mojo along the way. I quite like the 16 or 18mm FLs,  quite a sweet spot.

Edited by Scopeman

Fujiyama 18mm Ortho on its way, I may also go for the 12.5mm next month, not sure yet

Capture.PNG

Edited by Scopeman

17 hours ago, Scopeman said:

I like it to be honest, not used it a lot, as I said, my Dad died towards the latter end of last year so had a lot to deal with and sort out,  lost a bit of my mojo along the way. I quite like the 16 or 18mm FLs,  quite a sweet spot.

I think it's better edge corrected than the 19mm Luminos but I find the eye placement a bit less ergonomic. 

4 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Fujiyama 18mm Ortho on its way, I may also go for the 12.5mm next month, not sure yet

kokusai-kohki-fujiyama-18mm-hd-ortho-eyepiece-1000x1000h (1).webp 17.25 kB · 1 download

EEtMrJS.jpg

Above: my 9mm Circle T (Ohi glass). Below: 5x Powermate, 15mm 'Antares' Masuyama clone (Ohi), 12.5mm Fujiyama (Ohi), 10mm Baader Eudiascopic (almost certainly also Ohi).

LEKIDq2.jpg

My 180 came with a 2" VB, but due to the adapter that I have had to use on my 127 to be able to use the electric focuser means I has to usr a 2" extension but use a reducer click lock down to 1.25" for that.

I can understand it being a waste of time on the 127 as it only has a 1.25" fittings so putting 2" on that is pointless, but on the 180 I think it is a bit different. I ordered the Fujiyama 12.5mm too today. So I can compare the 18mm that's coming with the Baader 18mm.

Yeah, I suppose it might be good on DSO's and the like. TBH I can't tell any real difference between the Ohi and the Baader ortho's. The Baader's have more field due to a bigger field stop. As the Baader's are Abbe ortho's they still only have 42° of field before any discernible edge astigmatism. Interestingly the Tak' ortho's have 44° of field, They're an Abbe as well. The Tak's have slightly better contrast but they forfeit some transmission.  

I put it down to the Tak' coatings. I'm not sure why the Tak's have 44° FOV although I suspect it is a matter of design ergonomics. Tak' ortho's do feel a little more comfortable to use. The 4mm is almost like physically using a 5mm or 6mm. Either way they're still true Abbe's in the fact they are only actually sharp to 42°.