Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Grab And Go Mak 127

Scopeman

Maybe. It's made in Japan predominantly, which boosts the production costs. The Tak' prism diagonal is very good, although the housing is like it came out of a Christmas cracker.

ALNVPyo.jpg

The same could be said for their Barlow. The LE eyepiece range is good but for a long time they suffered from ghosting and scatter until Tak' ameliorated the baffling and matte blacking.

Yes, why do they do that, the prism is good but the build quality isn't at all, very cheap to the feel which is surprising for the Japanese. I am rather taken with the two William Optics prism and Durabright diagonals, their build quality and performance is superb.

I have no idea. Retail cost probably.

d8jbNmtl.jpg

I've had mishaps ... so I went with TV & Baader for most of my 1.25" diagonals.

YSjnezHl.jpg

Can't wait to try them out, weather here has been very windy and big downpours for the last week, typical, it is so changeable these days it puts me off setting it all up and leaving it outside to cool down.

Oh yes, that's right, TelescopeHouse, I visited them once as I said with my 10" LX200, wasn'tt too impressed with their shop when it was in Farringdon Road, dingy damp smelling shopbut they are not there anymore, they moved to Edenbidge I think and most of their online stuff seems to come from Bresser in Germany, don't use them and haven't done so for years.

Some of them came from elsewhere, but only TH gave me problems about returns. I got a 7mm KK ortho' once from TS Optics. It had a weird bright point of light right in the centre of field, like a probable flaw in the lens group, maybe. I contacted TS Optics and they said they'd replace it no problem. I informed them what the fault was. They replaced it with a perfect 7mm KK. About a fortnight later I was sent a report on it from the Marcus Ludes laboratory. They'd fired lasers through it, checked it with polarised light or something, and a load of other stuff. Their conclusion was there was a probable flaw in the lens group, maybe.

Marcus Ludes, that name rings a bell from years ago, Can't remember what from now though but recognise that name.

I think he set-up TS Optics and APM. I spoke to him once via email when I asked APM a question about the 2" Amici of theirs I'd just bought. Seems like a nice chap. I'm pretty sure he had a lot to do with negotiating the deal with the Chinese manufacturer to produce the TMB's Thomas Back had designed. Which possibly explains these. 

iM6Uvuwl.jpg

That's how it starts. First it's just one to see how they are.

kM9xvSnl.jpg

Then a couple more, just because. Next thing you know you're selling appliances from your own house to feed your addiction. lol

pVhtbrBl.jpg

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 1