Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New Forum and features

Jkulin

Just a big Thank-you to Nick and Paul, they have both worked hard after listening to your comments and Nick has made a major investment in the software and the look and feel should be very similar to other forums that you have used in the past ;-).

The image problems should have been alleviated, I know when I chatted with Nick that the size has now been set as the default which he thought was 5MB, but please advise if you experience problems.

Most things have moved across, you will need to re-upload your Avatars and complete your profile, I have asked about the signatures as that is very helpful.

There will naturally be a few things to get used to, please advise and we'll create a want list to pass forward to the lads.

It looks great John. I wondered what was happening, when I tried to login last night, I got a message saying this url does not exist.

It might be more than 5MB as it seems to say the rather unusual number of 48.83MB

But thanks to Nick and Paul. All appears to work well, signatures are there and the addition of a search facility is most welcome.

Great start - many thanks to Nick and Paul.  Enormous improvement on the previous forum software 👍

First post with the new forum software - love it!

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Like much of the new interface but struggling a bit this morning to find my way around as it is different again from yesterday, especially as lots of features are in dark grey on top of dark blue and very hard to see them.

Can't see anywhere to change any preferences, perhaps they are dark grey too. 

Carole  

10 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Like much of the new interface but struggling a bit this morning to find my way around as it is different again from yesterday, especially as lots of features are in dark grey on top of dark blue and very hard to see them.

Can't see anywhere to change any preferences, perhaps they are dark grey too. 

Carole  

Carole try scrolling right to the bottom and you will see Theme. Click on it and you will see this

image.png.9911ed3851640beaa95066014179fca1.png

Backyard Astronomy Space is the default. Click the other Default radio button (as shown in the picture) and it will change to a white background.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TerryMcK

As per my PM Carole, scroll to the bottom of the page, for now I am using the default: -

image.thumb.png.de746136f4c3754f112f07bc0b71794f.png

Just tried again and I have a 3rd option available now, - still have the dark background which i like, and can now see the buttons at the top:

Create/Notifications and messages, but would still like the text colour to be brighter.

Will keep trying as it seems I am gaining more options each time I open up BYA.  Still can;t find a login/logout button. 

Carole 

Tried again and finally have the white option and a login/logout button.  I will stick with that as I can now read it.

Carole  

• Like 1

First off - really like the new forum layout and appearance, fantastic effort by everyone involved

I have a question as I post mostly in Deep  Sky Imaging and post up  images - on the previous version of te forum I typically linked to AstroBin and the forum software worked out the link and inserted my image and on click linked to Astrobin.

That funcionality doesnt seem to work - my Auriga post is just  a link and I tried to edit and add in the 'Forum' share link from AstroBin and that didnt stick - any advice ?

Second issue is I just posted an image and as the limit indicated about 48Mb - I posted a 28Mb PNG - but the forum has resized into a roughly 2Mb image and when clicked it doesnt seem to download the full resolution image

Is this designed funstionality for image handling or are there stil some gremlins waiting to be evicted ?

ThanksB

Bryan

I can't say about Astrobin as I haven't uploaded any new , but I will ask the question.

NGC 1491 / Sh2-206 / LBN704,                                John Kulin

NB. I'm just trying a test, Just tested things and right clicked and copied image from Astrobin, then left click in here and paste, works perfectly.

There might be some cute code that reduces the size as 28mb is a really large file.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:02 PM, Jkulin said:

Just a big Thank-you to Nick and Paul, they have both worked hard after listening to your comments and Nick has made a major investment in the software and the look and feel should be very similar to other forums that you have used in the past ;-).

The image problems should have been alleviated, I know when I chatted with Nick that the size has now been set as the default which he thought was 5MB, but please advise if you experience problems.

Most things have moved across, you will need to re-upload your Avatars and complete your profile, I have asked about the signatures as that is very helpful.

There will naturally be a few things to get used to, please advise and we'll create a want list to pass forward to the lads.

John, I completely second this - a huge thank you to Nick, Paul and team for the progress they've made with the site. After just a cople of days, I'm finding the new layout much more intuitive and really like the additional features.

Since you asked for suggestions, one that I have is whether there is anyway to relocate the "+ Quote" button at the bottom of each post as currently it appears between the comments and signature for each post. It's just a minor niggle, so definitely not a priority.

Edited by geoflewis

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Since you asked for suggestions, one that I have is whether there is anyway to relocate the "+ Quote" button at the bottom of each post as currently it appears between the comments and signature for each post. It's just a minor niggle, so definitely not a priority.

Hi Geof, I'm really not sure about that, I will mention it, but personally don't see the problem on my PC, are you using it on your phone?

1 minute ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Geof, I'm really not sure about that, I will mention it, but personally don't see the problem on my PC, are you using it on your phone?

No, I'm on my Win 10 Laptop. This is what I'm seeing. The "quote" button is between your comment to me and your signature.....

image.thumb.png.87a231e629ecf642a8a1172600084939.png

OK fantastic - I get it now on AstroBin when in full view mode right click and selct 'copy image location'

Then paste that link into forum post and it works  - so I think the way forward is don't use AstroBin 'Share' links

image.png.1f358313f256b1d4627d4b214b17d310.png

My Auriga post is now updated on this new forum - this is great....

thanks

Hmm, for me Geof that looks the logical place as you read a post and then decide to quote it. Where do you think it should be?

I have posted it up to the lads, but am not holding my breath.

Just now, Astrobdlbug said:

OK fantastic - I get it now on AstroBin when in full view mode right click and selct 'copy image location'

Then paste that link into forum post and it works  - so I think the way forward is don't use AstroBin 'Share' links

image.png.1f358313f256b1d4627d4b214b17d310.png

My Auriga post is now updated on this new forum - this is great....

thanks

I didn't even do that, I just simply clicked copy image and pasted it.

1 hour ago, Jkulin said:

Hmm, for me Geof that looks the logical place as you read a post and then decide to quote it. Where do you think it should be?

I have posted it up to the lads, but am not holding my breath.

Below the signature, but it's not really a big deal....

Loving it!!  Just wondered if there's any thoughts of enabling the Blogs feature.  Not bothered personally, I'm very happy to just use threads.  I'm sure there are plenty of other things to sort out - it was just a thought as I've used Blogs elsewhere, though I think this was due to their rather strict posting policies more than anything else.

Oh!!!  Problem with BYA "Sorry, you can't add any more reactions today"  DRAT  What's that about?  OK I know there's lots to sort out and I much appreciate all the work you guys are doing.