Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New Lunar/Planetary Eyepieces

Scopeman

It probably will. Sometimes if they give the courier shipping number you can track it at the courier's site.

Edited by Nightspore
Missing definite article & preposition.

It defo coming, lol, between 6 and 8pm, the map has come up and it is 7 stops away and not far down the road!

Edited by Scopeman

Yeah, mine was about £85. I'm not over keen on its undercut though. Although it hasn't caused me any problems ... so far. I once got a 17mm Celestron Plossl caught in the TV3x for over an hour. JOC make about 95% of the world's mobile phone cameras I believe. 

oyt1ZyV.jpg

Here:

QaSBbID.jpg

I don't know all the manufacturers tbh, all I know is they are good quality which is why I have quite a few ES bits

I just bought the red/white version of this to match my FLT91, never used a right angled one before, always used straight through finders. Are they difficult/awkward to get used to?

Capture.PNG

Edited by Scopeman

Never had a right angles finder, so how do you use one? Mine are like yours above, but the one I have coming is for the FLT91 and matches the colour scheme.

I thought they would be more useful for finding things near the zenith. Although with my disability they were awkward to use in many respects. Using one in combination with a reflex probably works better. 

WGiWBXSl.jpg

Used in this position they actually were more useful. 

OD3SdrJl.jpg

I still needed a reflex though, like the QuickFinder by Rigel Systems.

Is that how others use them too? I have a Telrad here, but if you have to have both then what is the real point in an angled finder? There must be some reason as they seem quite popular and more readily available these days than straight through finders?

Edited by Scopeman

I don't know. One advantage is that you can look into it easily while seated. I find it less useful when I've rotated the diagonal.

hvH2Xyml.jpg

The other factor is that an RACI can add more weight to the rear of the OTA, often affecting balance.

34 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

I have a Telrad here, but if you have to have both then what is the real point in an angled finder? There must be some reason as they seem quite popular and more readily available these days than straight through finders?

Marketing may be pushing them more these days lol. In early daylight the Rigel isn't easy to use as the reticule LED isn't overly bright. Ideal for night time, but not so much in twilight. I don't use the 102mm SkyMax often with the RACI but it can still be useful at times. One of the ways RACI's are used is in combination with a straight through finder. The 'straight through' gets you into the general target area and the RA sight helps accurate location. I suspect RACI's come into their own when used on Dobsonian mounts.

Edited by Nightspore

Just seems daft having 2 finder, if one is aligned properly you don't ever need a second one and having two finders is more extra weight than the angled finder 

It's more common than you think. I think the reasoning is ergonomic comfort while physically using the scope. I use reflex sights 99% of the time. The types of scope I use only really need a straight through/reflex. As a consequence I've removed the second finder shoe from most of my refractors.

YdF36pSl.jpg

9uaEJMrl.jpg

Edited by Nightspore

I personally can't see the point, even a Telrad, if it is aligned with the ota you don't need a second finder at all. Thinking about it more, I suspect the fov is so wide that a rough pointing of the ota will bring the object or something near the object into view possibly.

I don't know. I suppose it's what works for the individual. I experimented with the RACI years ago. In the end I abandoned using one, either on its own, or in combination. I appreciate the advantages when trying to find targets near the zenith.

cBbP8bEl.jpg

But eventually, the disadvantages outweighed any real advantage.

But my big EQ6R Pro mount is GoTo anyway so providing the 2/3 star alignment is done it is pretty accurate. I will see how it goes, can't seem to find any videos on YouTube that covers these either.

Do the prisms come off and if so can  it be replaced with an illuminated reticle eyepiece, may need a short extension tube between finder and eyepiece, possibly. That would make it a straight through.

Edited by Scopeman

I think I may even use my laster pointer to get the RA finder aligned first then it shouldn't be an issue, hopefully

1 hour ago, Scopeman said:

Do the prisms come off and if so can  it be replaced with an illuminated reticle eyepiece, may need a short extension tube between finder and eyepiece, possibly. That would make it a straight through.

5yNkUdOl.jpg

I disassembled one of the Sky-Watcher RACI's once and used the Amici as a diagonal. But I already had the right eyepiece holder and nosepiece replacements to thread into them. 

I meant to make the finderscope a straight through and do away with the right angle prism altogether (no use for the prism)