Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New Lunar/Planetary Eyepieces

Scopeman

I don't know if you will have compatibility with the WO helical threaded out of the prism housing and how the Amici is connected to the body of the scope.

Virtually all Amici threads are different to most conventional size diagonals. I don't know why. Interestingly almost all Asian manufacturers use the same thread size for their respective Amicis. 

A5zOOIFl.jpg

Note that the WO helical threads into both GSO and mainland Chinese made Amici housings.

Is it that prisms are slightly smaller than mirror diagonals? My 2 WO 1.25" diagonals the prism is slightly smaller than the dielectric.

Amici prisms can often be smaller, and they have smaller apertures. Although apart from the Amicis, all my 1.25" Baader mirrors are bigger than the 1.25" Baader prisms. The Amicis seem comparable to the sital mirror size.

gwk2D8Ol.jpg

Long Perng dielectrics (above) are the same size as the Long Perng Amicis (below).

CxknmYml.jpg

How annoying is this, I called and asked Adam if the WO finders were in stock before I ordered, he said they were, I ordered it 2 days ago, they are now saying it is not in stock!!! Now I have to wait to get my money back! What is the point of checking for them to say they have them and then turns out they don't, complete waste of time!

Yeah, I've had this happen there. I think they have a warehouse lock-up somewhere. When they check the stock someone goes to look in the warehouse. Obviously their database info and actual reality don't always tally.

Yeah, apparently it happens fairly often. It's a bit sloppy. OTOH RVO are really helpful and don't argue about returns. I've spoken to Adam on the phone. Initially I didn't think we'd understand each other's accents, but there was no problem.

Yeah, Adam is goog usually, but it was him who checked and told me they had some. He also said he has messaged WO to put one on the next imminent order and yet Roy who left me a voicemail said they won't be in for some time to come!

Sounds familiar lol. I reckon he accesses their database, then goes to the lock-up. What's actually in the warehouse can be very different. Perhaps they should get better software (Linux maybe?). Possibly a classic case of GIGO.

I'm going to try it on the big Mak too I think. This tripod that came with the Porta 2 mount, what could I get for it if I sold it?

Not much chat on here anytime tbh, lots of post views but next to no actual comments, shame really, whatever happened to the art of discussion, lol

Edited by Scopeman
  • Like 1

Got the Antares VS60 RA finder today, replaced the ep with an illuminated reticle ep and made it a straight through with small extension tube. Very nicely made, optics are very good too.

20221111_155425.jpg